Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Help with a Federal Agency

Casework Assistance

Help with a Federal Agency:

One of Congressman Jerry McNerney’s top priorities is to assist constituents with casework requests. If you are a resident of California’s 9th Congressional District and are seeking assistance with veterans' benefits, social security payments, passport processing or other issues involving a federal agency, Congressman McNerney's office may be able to help resolve your problem or get you the information you need. Although we cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency or guarantee a favorable outcome, we will make every effort to ensure that you receive a fair and timely response.

To receive help from our office, you must first submit a Privacy Release Form including a detailed explanation of your request. The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. We must have your signature to proceed with your request.


To complete an online Privacy Release Form and open a case with our office, click here. 

****This option allows you to sign and submit your request electronically and automatically opens a case with our office.


If you prefer to use a printable Privacy Release Form, click here. 

****Once printed, please mail the signed and completed form to our Stockton office. 

NOTE: It can take up to two weeks for your request to be received.


Are You a Resident of California’s 9th Congressional District?

Congressional courtesy, ethics rules, and propriety dictate that each Member of Congress has the honor and responsibility to serve their own constituents.  If you are not sure which Congressional District you live in, click here. If you are not a resident of California’s 9th Congressional District, please contact your Member of Congress for assistance.

Requests for Help with Judicial and State-related Matters:

Because of the Constitutional separation of powers between the three branches of government, judicial matters (matters which involve the court system) do not fall under the jurisdiction of a Member of Congress. Examples of judicial matters include child custody, divorce, civil or criminal trials, and pardons or records expungement.

Issues related to State of California Agencies, such as the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or Employment Development Department (EDD), are also not under the jurisdiction of a Member of Congress. Please contact your State Senator or State Representative for assistance with a state-related matter. If you are unsure of who represents you in the California State Legislature, please click here.